Monday, January 19, 2009

The Last Semester: Mike The Uncle

A frequent posting meant to document my final semester of undergraduate studies. Lazy, wandering journal entries for posterity's sake.



After a night of hipsters & coke followed by brown & tecate, i was picked up from my house at 8 in the morn by my cousin's best friend, Jess. Returned home on a saturday for my uncle Mike's 50th birthday. It was supposed to be a surprise (and i think it was). Mike is an amazing person. His oldest son is a year older than me and his youngest a year older than my brother. Our families have been close because of the bond between Mike's parents and my mom's parents. Mike now lives alone in Blythe and runs his dad's Autoparts store. He also drives offroad racecars. And as my dad said at some point in the night, "Its about time this family had something to celebrate. This same group has only been seeing each other at funerals recently. This is good." And it was. Cousin and her boyfriend smoke a J in the car on the way home. I drift in and out of coherence staring at the empty desert.

No comments: