Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Last Semester: Mella' Yella' through the Woods of Ed

A frequent posting meant to document my final semester of undergraduate studies. Lazy, wandering journal entries for posterity's sake.


Tuesday i wake up an hour late and miss the live coverage of President Obama's inaugural address. shit. i watch it on msnbc.com later. In global cinema I we watch some beautiful Lumières Brothers shorts and Méliès' A Trip To the Moon (a stunning little feature). i watch them with childlike wonder. In an actualité shot in Indochina, the Lumiéres' camera is chased by gleeful children in loincloths. i am one of those children.

At night, i celebrate the new age of American Hope with Chanos and beer pong. Andrew and I dominate the recently returned Ross and his partner (not in that way) Jeff. Then word of a party takes us to Ellendale. I see some people i know. I tell a junior, "a year from now, when you're in my position... then, you'll understand." A dumb thing to say. I meet Bob, a fresh grad student. I take over the iPod and play Bowie, Jay-Z, and Dre. We retreat back to our homes. Mitch, the actor, relieves himself on the side of church.

Wednesday we watch Dziga Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera in Documentary class. What a wallop. Even more impressive to me was Jean Vigo's A Propos De Nice. I watch Vigo with the same awe that i watch Méliès and Lumiére. A stupid, blissful smile glued to my face. I need to talk to my professor but i don't. The timing wasn't right ... or something stupid.

Thursday we watch What Doesn't Kill You in symposium. Mark Ruffalo was good. Film was trying to be macho and 'real.' Trying. The director talked afterwards and was the most humble director, ex-gangster probably in the history of that combination. I wish his personality would've been more tangible in the film.

Friday, a Paris reunion. Nice to see those buggers. We talk about What Doesn't Kill You and the unforgivable Twolovers. I have a Salvador Dali-esque mustache drawn on to my face. I play Biggie, Jay-Z and Bowie to the indifference of the party-goers. I go to the Pace House to see other friends. Lot of negativity around some of those folks. A 3 30am Canter's trip brings this out. I sit quietly and listen. Its not always negative. A nice little cap to the evening.

Ed Wood blends Saturday into Sunday. Cam and I create a montage of In and Out moments from films. Set to an original song by your humble author. A dinner break takes Flem, Wheelz and i to an art gallery at Santa Monica and Fairfax for a free No Age show. The art crowd no match for the raw intensity of songs like 'Eraser.' Hipsters, Hipsters everwhere, look how well they manage to look as though they don't care. Ed Wood is turned in at 11 50. Prospects of making it to screening night are slim. But it was my last, and it was a proper end. One of many on the horizon.

No comments: